Premera's purpose is to improve members' lives by making healthcare work better. We are focused on improving the health of, and increasing the value to, our members by driving positive change in the healthcare space. To achieve this, we focus on solving the four biggest problems for members of cost, appropriateness, underuse, and experience.
Solving these problems requires innovation and a structured approach. We use data and analytics to build programs that lead to lower cost, better care, and improved member experience. We align our resources and structure to operate as efficiently as possible and always remain open to new ideas that will solve our members’ four biggest problems. We constantly scan the market for innovations developed outside of our walls and work to implement these when they are better than our own. We believe in breaking down barriers and moving through innovation to implementation with intensive monitoring to ensure programs achieve objectives.
In addition, Premera focuses on the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Triple Aim goals of:
- Improving the patient experience of care (including quality and satisfaction)
- Improving the health of populations
- Reducing the per capita cost of healthcare
Premera views quality standards as a starting point. We conduct uniform quality assessments through consistent national measures aligned with industry-recognized standards and market-specific measures that address local care gaps. Key areas addressed include:
- Appropriateness to reduce harm and waste
- Best practice adherence to support guideline-based treatment
- Health management to promote preventive care
- Outcomes to measure effective care delivery