What we're doing to keep medication costs down
The high expense and use of medications is one of the main contributing factors to rising healthcare costs.
Here are some ways we're working hard to reduce medication costs:
- Prescription drug level benefits place prescription medications into cost categories or levels, giving you the medication you need at the best possible price.
- Generic drugs help you save money.
- Our pre-approval program works with your doctor to help limit excessively long courses of treatment or high quantities of certain medications.
- Our Pharmacy Discount Program (for some Alaska plans only), provides pharmacy discounts with the HSA 20 and Value Care 25 plans.
- ePocrates® mobile app (for providers only) gives providers easy access to our preferred drug list, which results in lower costs for you.
Through retail pharmacy contracting we create a broad retail pharmacy network at a competitive contracted rate so that we can offer better medication costs to you at several convenient locations.
With our doctor-based Pharmacy Management Program, we work closely with medical and provider groups to make it easier for you to get the highest value in your prescription medications.
ePocrates® is an independent company providing mobile-optimized medical information to Premera Blue Cross and Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alaska providers.