Our Most Frequently Asked Questions

  • Special enrollment periods

    What is open enrollment? When is the open enrollment period?

    Open enrollment is the annual time period when you can apply for or make changes to your health plan. The open enrollment for 2015 ended February 15. The open enrollment period for 2016 individual health coverage begins November 1, 2015 and will run through January 31, 2016.

    I would like to purchase a health plan directly with Premera. Can I buy one now?

    Unfortunately if you did not purchase a new health plan by February 15, it’s too late for you to buy a 2015 health plan—unless you have a qualifying event. The next opportunity to buy a plan is during the 2016 open enrollment period, which is expected to begin in November 1, 2015.

    Can I still change my plan?

    Whether you purchased your plan through the Washington Healthplanfinder or direct from us, you can only make changes outside of the open enrollment period if you have a qualifying event.

    Can I make changes to my plan outside of open enrollment?

    Only in certain circumstances. One of the new rules that started in 2014 is that you can join or make changes to a plan only during the open enrollment period. There are some exceptions, though: if you get married, have a child, or lose your job, for examples, you'll be able to make changes to your plan.

    What is a qualifying event?

    A qualifying event is a significant change to your life, such as getting married, having a child, or losing your job.

    How to use your plan

    I bought a 2015 health plan. How do I know I’m covered?

    You should receive a welcome kit with a cover letter explaining your new plan and how to use it. You will also receive a welcome email with links to valuable resources. Please call us at 800-722-1471 with any questions about your health plan.

    It does take time to process your application once it has been submitted, and you may not receive your ID card right away.

    If you purchased a 2015 health plan directly with Premera, and have not received your ID card, you'll be covered by your plan starting on the day you selected.

    If you purchased your 2015 health plan through Washington Healthplanfinder, and have not received your ID card, there may have been a delay in processing your application. Please call Washington Healthplanfinder to confirm your application status.

    I need to use my health plan, but I don’t have my ID card. What should I do?

    If you need to use your plan before you receive your ID card, here’s what you can do:

    • To see the doctor or fill a prescription: In-network doctors, hospitals, and pharmacies can confirm your coverage directly with us. You can still get care if you need it, even if you don’t have your ID card. You can also call us at 800-722-1471 and we’ll give you your ID number.
    • To manage your account on Premera.com: The logged-in area of our website will help you view and manage claims, look up spending toward your deductible, and learn about the benefits with your plan. To register, you’ll need your member ID number, which you can get by calling us at 800-722-1471.

    Cancelling your old plan

    I just bought a new health plan and need to cancel my old plan. How do I cancel my old plan?

    Call us at 800-722-1471 and we can take your cancellation over the phone.

    You can also send us a letter to cancel your health plan. All we need is a written or typed cancellation letter with your ID number, the names of the people on the plan being cancelled, the date you would like your cancellation to take effect, and your signature.

    Mailing address:
    P.O. Box 91120
    Seattle, WA 98111

    Fax: 425-918-3727 

    I thought I had cancelled my old plan, but I still received a bill. What should I do?

    In some cases, your cancellation may not have been received and processed in time to stop your bill going out or your account being debited. If you received a bill for a plan that has been canceled, you do not have to pay that bill and it won’t impact your credit rating.


    I have Automatic Funds Transfer (AFT). I cancelled my old plan but my bank account was still charged for it. What should I do? 

    We’re sorry your account was debited for your cancelled plan. Call us at 800-722-1471 and we will make sure you get a refund as soon as possible.

    I'd like to cancel my Automatic Funds Transfer (AFT). How do I cancel it? What date do I need to cancel by?

    Call us at 800-722-1471 and we can take your cancellation over the phone.

    You can also mail your cancellation request to:
    P.O. Box 91120
    Seattle, WA 98111

    To ensure prompt cancellation of your AFT, please submit your notice at least 20 days prior to your next scheduled transfer. Most transfers take place on the last Thursday of every month. We recommend submitting your cancellation by the fifth of every month in order to cancel for the following month.

    Updating your name or address

    My name, or other personal information, is wrongwhat do I do?

    If you enrolled in a plan through Washington Healthplanfinder, you will need to contact them to update your details. We aren’t able to make any changes to information held in their systems.

    If you enrolled directly with us, call us at 800-722-1471 and we can update that information for you.