Healthcare and taxes routinely made headlines in 2017. Despite changes made in Congress, the need to show that you had healthcare coverage for the previous year, using Form 1095, hasn't changed.
You'll receive Form 1095 with all the necessary information included so there's no need to fill anything out. Please consult a tax advisor if you have questions about this tax reporting rule. Premera doesn't provide tax guidance.
3 versions of form 1095
- Form 1095-A: For those who bought individual coverage through Washington Healthplanfinder or Healthcare.gov.
- Form 1095-B: For those who bought health coverage directly from their health insurance carrier or for those whose employer provides health coverage and has less than 50 full-time employees.
- Form 1095-C: For those whose employer provides coverage and has 50 or more full-time employees.
Which 1095 will I receive?
- I'm covered through my employer.
You should receive Form 1095-B or 1095-C, depending upon the size of your employer. You should have received it either in the mail in January from Premera, or from your employer. According to the IRS, you don't need to file Form 1095 with your taxes. But you may need to enter information on your return from it.
If you had coverage through more than one employer in the same year, it's likely you will receive more than one Form 1095.
- I buy my own health plan through Washington Healthplanfinder.
Washington Healthplanfinder provides Form 1095-A, which you will use to file your return. This is available in your message center through Washington Healthplanfinder starting January 20. You should receive a message that it's available. If you opted for a paper copy, it's sent by U.S. Mail the week of January 22. You'll also have extra work to do if you received financial help with the cost of your plan (tax premium credits or cost share reductions). You will use Form 1095 information to reconcile the amount on your tax return using Form 8962. Learn more about individual plan financial aid reconciliation and tax return reporting.
- I buy my own health plan directly from Premera.
You should have received Form 1095-B in the mail in January from Premera. If you opted for an electronic copy, you can now access it online via your premera.com account.
- I bought my own coverage through Washington Healthplanfinder and had coverage through an employer at some point in the year.
You could receive Form 1095-A from Washington Healthplanfinder online, Form 1095-B from Premera, or Form 1095-B or 1095-C directly from your employer. It's likely you'll receive a Form 1095 from all of those entities, in the mail or online.
Please contact the IRS or the entity responsible for sending you the form. You may also want to consult with your tax professional. General information on Form 1095 is available on the IRS website.